Giles Garcia – Head Coach & Academy Owner
Giles teaches all the 7am classes, the Monday and Friday lunchtime and evening classes and all the weekend classes apart from the takedown class.
Giles first started training martial arts when he was six years old, primarily studying Karate, with a bit of Wing Chun & Ninjutsu, before finding Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2007.
Giles was awarded both blue & purple belts by Royce Gracie, getting his purple belt in May 2014. In October 2018 he was awarded his brown belt by Christian Graugart, founder of BJJ Globetrotters, who then also awarded him his black belt in October 2020 with the blessing of fellow camp instructors Shanti Abelha, Wim Deputter, Priit Mihkelson and Francesco Fonte.
Some of his more notable achievements include:
· IBJJF British Nationals 2018 – Gold at Weight – Purple Belt.
· IBJJF Paris Open 2018 – Gold at Weight – Purple Belt.
· IBJJF Munich Open 2018 – Gold at Weight – Purple Belt.
· Kleos Grappling 2015 – Silver at Weight – Blue Belt.
· Scotia Grappling 2013 – Gold at Weight – Blue Belt.
· Naga Paris 2011 – Double Bronze – Advanced No-Gi Divison.
· Fighters Only Invitational 2011 – Silver at Weight – Blue Belt.
· European Festival of Martial Arts at Disneyland Paris, 2009 – Bronze at Weight – White Belt.
· Semi-Professional MMA 1-0-0
· Muay Thai – C-class 2-0-0
Giles is also a certified Yoga For BJJ instructor and you can see Giles’ beltchecker profile here.
Richard Wood – Coach
Richard is an experienced coach who has been teaching at Ronin Grappling since we first opened our doors in Rutherglen.
Richard is a purple belt with a strong love for Kimuras and Ezekiel chokes and has been training jiu jitsu since 2014.
· Silver NoGi 5th Annual Scottish Cup.
· Bronze Gi 5th Annual Scottish Cup.
Richard teaches both Wednesday classes. See Richard’s beltchecker profile here.
Scott Dickie – Coach
Scott likes to describe himself as ‘ok at jiu jitsu’ though those who roll with him will know that’s a vast understatement.
Scott, currently a brown belt, started training in 2011 and has years of experience teaching both Gi and NoGi jiu jitsu. His favourite techniques include anything lapel based and he likes a good berimbolo.
· Bronze Gi West of Scotland Open.
· Bronze Gi Edinburgh Open.
· Bronze at the ADCC UK Scottish Open.
Scott is also a certified Yoga For BJJ instructor and teaches the Tuesday night fundamentals and NoGi classes. See Scott’s beltchecker profile here.
Lorna Kinnoch – Coach
Lorna has been training jiu jitsu since 2016 and in that time has made a mark on competitions both nationally and internationally.
She is a purple belt under James Doolan at Higher Level and travels through to Glasgow once a week to teach our women*+ classes.
· Gold Advanced NoGi Grappling Industries.
· Gold Purple Belt Gi absolute Grappling Industries.
· Triple Gold Newcastle Open.
· Double Gold West of Scotland Open.
· Gold IBJJF Munich Open.
· Silver IBJJF Rome Open.
· Medaled in Gi and No Gi Europeans.
· Wins at EOC, SGI and Submission Oasis submission only shows.
· Scotland’s Female Submission Finish of the year (2019).
Lorna teaches the Thursday night Women*+ class.
Cristiana Theodoli – Everything (bar coaching) & Academy Owner
As well as co-owning Ronin Grappling, Cristiana is the creative mind at the gym and runs the website, social media accounts, takes photos, deals with the admin and pretty much works on everything else around the gym making sure shit gets done.
Cristiana has been training jiu jitsu since 2012 and is a purple belt with a Gi heavy game favouring top pressure and lapel techniques. In her own words, Cristiana doesn’t want to “think about jiu jitsu, just roll around the floor”.
See Cristiana’s beltchecker profile here.
· Keeping Giles’ exuberance under control.
· Gold absolute Grapplers Quest.
· Gold absolute SubNorth Open.
· Double Gold Scottish Open.
· Silver Gi IBJJF Europeans.
· Silver NoGi Grapplers Quest.
· Silver Gi Kleos Grappling.
· Silver Gi Scottish Open.
· Silver Gi Edinburgh Open.
· Silver NoGi absolute Grapplers Games.
· Bronze Gi absolute Scottish Open.